Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Graduations!

It finally happened! When Scott and I were first married, people always told us "how fast time would go by" and sometimes it was hard to believe. When I transferred to the U of A I thought I would graduate in two years or less. It ended up being a much longer road. I spent a lot of time with my adviser trying to make credits count and figure out how to get out of school as soon as possible. There were many times I was really discouraged and did not want to finish because I felt like I had so much in front of me.
I went to my adviser one day after my first year at the U of A with a graduation plan. I had 80+ credits left and I told her I wanted to finish in the next two years. She told me she didn't really think it was likely but we could try. So with going to school through summers and taking a couple of classes during student teaching and after, I finished in those two years. I really could not have done it without the support of my husband, he always encouraged me and I am so grateful for my education, the journey in getting there and the lessons learned. And now I can say looking back time really did fly. My graduation was on Thursday May 13th, (I am a little behind) it was really long. The college of Science is the largest on campus with nearly a thousand graduates this year. So by the end Anna was not very happy!Next we had Scott's graduation on the 15th. He had a really nice ceremony and graduated with honors and awards, I am so proud of him. He worked so hard. We were talking about tough semesters he had in school and we ended up pretty much mentioning all of them. It was a tough program but he has learned a lot and we even get to see his design at the Reid Park Zoo unfold this coming year.
I had to get one picture of Scott with his Master's hood on, since you can hardly see it in other pictures! When Scott and I were buying our graduation garb he noticed that his gown was more expensive then mine. He was very disappointed to find out it was more expensive because of the sleeve extensions instead of stripes. I told him he had to get a doctorate to get stripes and I actually think the idea of going back to school crossed his mind just so he could get stripes! In his defense there are very few schools that even offer a doctorate in Landscape Architecture and he had a three year Masters so I think he deserves the stripes!
We were so grateful to both of our families for coming down for a few days to celebrate with us. We had a lot of fun visiting and we are so grateful for the support we had throughout the years.

Just a few random pictures we took. We are SO glad to be done! Now we just need to find a job...I will keep you posted!

2 comments:

Chrystal said...

I probably should have just done one big comment, oh well. These pictures are so cute they make me want to cry! I love the one of you guys kissing, it is such an acomplishment. I know things will work out with the job, hang in there.

Natalie said...

Congratulations! Keith and I both think he deserves the stripes too, 7 years of school after graduation is a lot! Anna's so beautiful I hope we get to see her sometime soon