Monday, January 30, 2012

Halloween

To start off our Halloween season we carved some pumpkins. Everything has just been more fun with Anna this year. She really got into all of our traditions and this was no exception.


This was Anna's first look inside a pumpkin (below). I thought her face was pretty awesome and I am glad I caught it. Although she was very interested in the whole carving process she did not like the feel of the "guts". We were trying to get her to help us pull them out and she just made this face like, "that's gross guys"

We had to have a snack while we carved of course. I found this wonderful Apple Nachos recipe on Pinterest. It is apple slices with melted chocolate and peanut butter drizzled across. I actually added walnuts after I took the picture too. This has become a favorite treat around here.

And the finished product! Scott carved the bigger one and I did the smaller one. Anna had a little baby pumpkin that we decided not to carve. We let it stay in the house and she loved carrying it around. Halloween night we were supposed to head down to Scott's parents for dinner and trick-or-treating but things did not exactly work out as we had planned. We were on our way to Utah county with everyone else in rush hour traffic and Scott was pulling some jerky lane changes (do you see where this is going?) I was busy trying to occupy Anna by supplying her with books to look at since we were trying to make the longer drive without binky's for the first time.

About 15-20 minutes into the drive, just as Scott had made it all the way to the HOV lane, I looked back at Anna just as I saw a little puke come out, kind of like a spit up. I turned to Scott and said, "I think she just threw-up a little bit, that's weird" But then she continued to throw-up and it was really bad as you can imagine or maybe have even experienced the car puke yourself. But, this was a first for us and I was kind of freaking out especially if you recall what we had been through earlier that month. Scott kept asking how bad it was and all I could say was we have to pull off, we need to get off the freeway.

Luckily I brought a change of clothes for her since I knew we would be late coming home and I had a plastic bag and a lot of wipes. So we were able to do a quick clean up but then we had to head back home to really strip down the car seat and clean the car. We were sad to miss out on hanging out with family but we didn't want this to ruin our night all together so we gave Anna a bath and watched her for awhile, decided to try feeding her and she seemed fine. We determined that she must have been car sick. And I no longer offer books on the drive to Scott's parents in case you were wondering.

We took her trick-or-treating in the neighborhood behind us and she really enjoyed herself. She would say trick-or-treat in the tiniest whisper and we could rarely get her to say thank you before she turned and headed for the next house. I was surprised at how quickly she picked up on the strategy of the whole thing.
After a lot of last minute deliberation and a trip to the dollar store we decided on making Anna an old lady this year. It wasn't quit the cute fairy or princess costume that you might expect but I have to say I think she turned out pretty cute and we got some pretty good reactions from people. She even kept the glasses at the end of her nose all night.


Here is the proud old lady, a few curlers short but a lot of candy gained. Overall it was a fun and memorable night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, I love that costume. What a cute idea!!!

Andrea McEntire said...

I love the curlers. What a cute gal!